Alan Rankin is an experienced operator within the tourism sector having successfully directed and led business membership organisations, five star visitor attractions, conference, retail and catering activities. Alan is recognised as one of Scotland’s leading destination development innovators.
Alan has also operated at the highest strategic level dealing with Ministers, MSPs, national agencies and public private partnerships. Alan also has a background in high street retail bringing a unique blend of skills and experience at both operational and strategic levels all of which brings a strong tourism and business consultancy skill-set.
- Tourism 2020 Strategy Leadership Group
- Scottish Tourism Alliance Council
- National Economic Forum
- Highland Tourism Partnership
- Cairngorms Business Partnership
- Cairngorms Strategic Delivery Group
- Cairngorms Economic Forum
- Cairngorms Sustainable Tourism Forum
- Scottish Tourism Forum
- Discovery Point and Verdant Works 5 star attractions
- Tourism Framework for Action
- Tourism Innovation Group
- Pride and Passion Steering Group
- Visitscotland.com Industry Advisory Group
Innovation and achievements
- Successfully managed a wide range of public/private partnership projects with: Scottish Enterprise, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, Local Authority, Cairngorms National Park Authority, Highland Council, LEADER, HLF, Visitscotland, ERDF, ESF and charitable trusts.
- Led the first joint Destination Management Organisation/Chamber of Commerce membership organisation in Scotland taking membership from 110 to 360
- Member of National Tourism Strategy Leadership Group championing Destinations Towns and Cities Group
- First national park in the world to have a business led mobile app directory and events calendar
- Devised and introduced Scottish Tourism Week
- Introduced several features to destination website in advance of national agencies
- Introduced Scotland’s first destination Business Barometer drawing business and customer trends
- Restructured and doubled the membership of the Scottish Tourism Forum
- Introduced the concept of e-commerce workshops to Scottish tourism industry in 2005
- Devised and ran a tall ships festival in Dundee attracting 50,000 visits and bringing £1.2m to local economy
- Led two attractions to 5 star status with one winning a European Museum of the Year Award
Alan Rankin’s career profile here
James Gibbs, Director of Enterprise at the University of the Highlands and Islands. June 5, 2014, James was with another company when working with Alan at Aviemore and the Cairngorms DMO
“Alan’s leadership and management of the Aviemore and Cairngorms DMO ensured that organisation’s success and set a benchmark of excellence for DMOs in the UK. I would recommend Alan for help in any area regarding tourism’s interface with local communities and businesses and customers and establishing and managing DMOs.